National league main sponsor - Motorama
League - National League South
Beavers suffer penalty shootout heartbreak in semi-final

Beavers suffer penalty shootout heartbreak in semi-final

By HRBFC Press Team
9th April
Share via

Missed penalties from Ricky Wellard and Ryan Hill consign Hampton to defeat in Middlesex Charity cup after disappointing 0-0 draw.

Hampton suffered a disappointing exit in the semi-final of the Middlesex FA Charity Cup on penalties to Uxbridge.

The game ended in stalemate before two crucial misses from Ricky Wellard and Ryan Hill gave the visitors the win from the spot.

Uxbridge started well and had some early possession, but Hampton then got into the game and created a good opportunity, but Marcel Barrington shot over from the edge of the box. The Guyanese international had another chance from a similar position moments later but this time scuffed his shot.

The visitors gave the Beavers a scare just before the hour mark though as Lovelock had to show sharp reactions to deny Craige Tomkins from close range. The ball then fell back to Tomkins, who used his considerable size to hold it up and play in Luke Maguire, but the midfielder put his shot over.

In the end-to-end first half, Hampton then tested Paul McCarthy in the visiting goal. Ryan Hill found himself in acres of space in the box and was picked out by Jack Connors’ corner, but he powered a shot right into the keeper’s midriff.

The hosts should have taken the lead late in the first half. Tyrell Miller-Rodney swung in a dangerous free-kick, Bray managed to pull clear of his marker at the back post and had on open goal to poke into but managed to lose his balance and fluff the opportunity.

Hampton monopolised possession in the second half but were left frustrated when a series of long balls were easily dealt with by the Uxbridge defence. The Beavers were restricted to long range shots, with Miller-Rodney going closest but his effort only forced McCarthy into a routine save.

The first clear opening came in the second half when Ricky Wellard whipped in a teasing cross but Harry Crawford, at full-stretch, just couldn’t make a full connection and the ball trickled into the keeper’s hands.

The game then petered out into a penalty shootout.

James Burgess scored the visitors first and the score stayed at 1-0 when Wellard shanked his effort wide. Hampton then fell to 2-0 down when Ryan Hill put his effort into the stand behind the goal. With the score at 3-1, Tyrone Pink stepped up and sent Uxbridge into the final.

Share via