Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hampton & Richmond Borough FC app


1st - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Hampton & RB
Thamesmead Town
Sat 12 Apr 15:07 - The Ryman Football League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 232

Beavers out of juice against 'Mead

A well motivated Thamesmead side brought Hampton's run of good form to an abrupt halt following a 52nd minute strike in a relatively uneventful game.

It was immediately clear that the pitch was running far from smoothly and errors would occur. Evidence of this came early in the piece when Rodney swung at thin air as the ball kicked up on him. The resultant corner was defended successfully.

Thamesmead dominated territory for the first 25 minutes and carved out two opportunities of note. The first saw Turner in the box by the tricky right winger Thompson, whose powerful cross narrowly cleared the onrushing strikers. Thamesmead followed this up with a low strike from the edge of the box which Rodney saved easily, diving low to his right.

Hampton's first serious effort came when Turner cut inside to set up Tarpey for a long range effort which bounced into the keeper's chest.
Just minutes later Hampton's best move to date saw Moone in the clear, only to be pulled back for a foul in our favour, just as he was about to pull the trigger.

With half an hour gone, and the game beginning to show some signs of life, Rodney misjudged a right wing cross, but redeemed himself with a one handed reflex save to push away the resultant header on goal.
Barely a minute later Mead's Lewis Tozer gave away a soft foul on Moone and found himself booked for kicking the ball away. An act that would return to haunt him later in the game. Moone sent the free kick high and wide.

A further effort from Moone, following good work from Simmonds, saw a deflected shot flapped clear by the off balance goalie. Said goalie caught the corner that followed and attempted to boot the ball upfield; but Wells stepped in, took the hit and, with it, an unnecessary booking.
Back at our end Rodney pulled off a typically athletic save in tipping over a powerful header from an unmarked attacker on the far left post.
Hampton were showing signs of finding some rhythm now, and put together a fine flowing move down the right involving Mills in all phases. His last touch set the ball up neatly for Hickey, whose 20 yard volley drifted well wide.

With the half drawing to a close Thamesmead nearly grabbed a late lead when a spell of pinball on the edge of our six yard box saw Mills hook off the line, Rodney make a low save, and then hook the ball clear whilst prostrate on the ground.

At the end of a half lacking in any real quality, both teams left the field goalless. It did not go unnoticed among the Hampton fans that young Harry Mills at right back was by far the stand out player, and happily he continued this form into the second half.

With the game resuming in similar fashion, a harmless looking ball up Thamesmead's right wing lead to a bad error from Brewer. In his attempt to keep the ball in play he found himself robbed on the by-line by the lively Thompson, whose firmly hit cross was knocked home from 8 yds by Gordon-Young, giving Rodney no time to react.

It was Thompson again found bursting through the midfield virtually straight from our kick off, only to be halted on the edge of the box.
In attempt to increase our level of possession the management introduced Osman in place of the largely ineffective Wannadio. Turner switched to the right and Simmonds went wide left to maintain the width that Wannadio offers.

The pattern of the game didn't really change, but our hopes were raised when an ill considered handball by No 5 Tozer brought about his dismissal for a second yellow card on the hour mark.

Thamesmead sat back a little after this, but there were no real signs that we had the extra man as they maintained a higher energy level than our lads could muster.

With our normally prolific front two posing little threat, it fell to the midfield to try and stir things up. Hickey was the most effective in this regard, and came close when Joe sent the ball through for him to flick it Gascoigne style (for those of a certain age) over the defender, only to volley wide.... unlike Gascoigne.

In spite of pushing Roberts up front and bringing Barton on for Simmonds, we didn't really look like scoring. In fact Thamesmead came closest with a disallowed goal following an aggressive challenge on Rodney on the edge of the box.

Brewer's late booking, borne out of frustration, summed up the day for the both the players and the 235 in attendance.

Many thanks to Phil Weller for stepping in at the last minute to provide this report

Hampton & Richmond Borough 0

Thamesmead Town 1
Tyrus Gordon-Young (52')

Att: 232

Hampton & Richmond Borough: 1 Rodney Chiweshe, 2 Harry Mills, 3 Tommy Brewer, 4 Tom Hickey, 5 George Wells, 6 Justyn Roberts, 7 Luke Wanadio (Ben Osman 60'), 8 James Simmonds (Jack Barton 81'), 9 Dave Tarpey, 10 Charlie Moone, 11 Joe Turner

Subs: 12 Reece Barnett, 14 Reece Brewster, 15 Jake Hicks, 16 Ben Osman, 17 Jack Barton

Thamesmead Town: 1 Sam Mott, 2 Jack Hopkins, 3 Jay Porter, 4 Sean Roberts, 5 Lewis Tozer, 6 Richard Butler, 7 Sam Glover, 8 Derek Duncan, 9 Junior Baker, 10 Tyrus Gordon-Young, 11 Leslie Thompson.

Subs: 12 Shamir Mullings, 14 Rob Carter, 15 Ashley Probets, 16 George Whitelock, 17 Rob Budd.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Wingate & Finchley
Bury Town
Canvey Island
Maidstone United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Billericay Town 46 66
11. Margate 46 64
12. Hampton & RB 46 64
13. Canvey Island 46 62
14. Grays Athletic 46 61
15. Bury Town 46 60
16. Lewes 46 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors